A Match Made in Highschool




When the principal announces that every senior must participate in a mandatory year-long Marriage Education program, Fiona Sheehan believes that her life can't get any worse. Then she marries her "husband": jerky jock Todd, whose cheerleader girlfriend, Amanda, has had it in for Fiona since day one of second grade. Even worse? Amanda is paired with Fiona's long-term crush, Gabe. At least Fiona is doing better than her best friend, Marcie, who is paired up with the very quiet, very mysterious Johnny Mercer.

Pranks, fights, misunderstandings, and reconciliations ensue in an almost Shakespearean comedy of errors about mistaken first impressions, convoluted coupling, and hidden crushes.
Synopsis from Goodreads.

YES, I FINISHED ANOTHER BOOK BEFORE I HUNT KILLERS AGAIN. SORRY NOT SORRY.

Back to the book...

BEWARE THIS POST HAS SPOILERS!!!

What does a school do when the divorce rate across the country is going up? Implement marriage education, of course!

I thought that was silly and cheesy. I've only read about such things in fanfictions and they're not exactly my favorite. But the reviews on Goodreads said it was hilarious and good so I tried it.

Fiona Sheehan gets randomly paired up with Todd, the guy he hates the most. Todd's girlfriend gets paired up with the love of Fiona's life, Gabe. Marcie, Fiona's best friend, marries Johnny Mercer, who shares Fiona's music taste and has a good sense of humor.

Couples are required to do what real couples do: get jobs, earn income, save money, spend money. Fiona thought he had  the worst luck in the world. Todd has made it clear he despises her, which is good, because the feeling is totally mutual. Weirdly, Fiona realizes that maybe Todd enjoys their fights and banters. What's even more weird is that Fiona feels the same way. The like that they hate each other.

I thought they were going to end up together, because that's how it's supposed to be, right? Two people hate each other forced to spend time together are bound to fall in love. Or kill each other. I was hoping it was the first one.

They were just so right for each other in ways I could not describe. I just felt that they do.

And then enter Johnny Mercer. Johnny Mercer, who took the fall for Fiona when the principal caught her pulling a prank on Todd. Who worked after school just to get Fiona's confiscated items back. Johnny, who she gets along really well. Johnny, who is so nice to her. Too nice.

When Marcie told Fiona that Johnny does indeed like her, I thought, "Oh no."

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no

I was pretty sure she's going to end up with Johnny but I still rooted for Todd and Fiona.

And when something finally happens between them, when they finally get along with each other, Fiona realizes she feels nothing for Todd. She thought he was a good friend.

Okay, Todd never confessed to actually liking Fiona BUT I KNOW IT WAS IMPLIED.

So I was absolutely pissed off when I realize that nothing's going to happen ever between them.

A fan-art I made last night. Made with hatred
and rage in my heart. You're welcome.


I mean, Johnny's a great guy, but I think he's too ... boring for someone like Fiona.

Oh well.

All in all, I liked it. Minus one star because no ToddxFiona.

0 comments:

Post a Comment